It is Tuesday here in Saigon and we had a beautiful morning, but the rainy season is taking over this afternoon. It is hard to complain about the rain because it cools the whole city off, but makes walking around less fun. Language classes started yesterday and they are overwhelming. Vietnamese is a difficult language and on top of that learning it for four hours straight is brutal. On the bright side the teachers are incredibly nice.
We went to the beach this past Sunday and I have to say it was one of the most amazing days of my life. The beach was beautiful the weather was nice. The water was really warm and I was in great company. We were able to bring a few Vietnamese students to the beach with us, which was just so much fun. Also the food in Vietnam has been spectacular. I love eating lots of rice and noodles all the time. I am in carbohydrate heaven!!
Saigon is an amazing city, very modern and alive. You wouldn't believe the traffic sometimes if feels like all these people do is ride motorbikes around all day. The coolest part of the city is the streets they are alive with people and vendors. The downtown part of Saigon is very tourist oriented and intimidating, but once you get to where we live life is more normal. I feel like it is nice to go to the little coffee shop down the street and get coffee with random Vietnamese people or eat lunch in a restaurant where we are the only white people. It for some odd reason makes me feel like less of a spectacle when life is not centered around trying to sell me something. Anyway I am loving Vietnam so far and I am happy to be here. This weekend we are going to the art museum and the Chu chi tunnels which should be fun. I will write a full report sometime soon.
Posting pictures is not really working out the internet where I am staying is flaky, but I am going to go to one of the wi-fi hot spots one day and post a bunch so stay tuned. I send my love home to my family and friends and I hope that everything is going well for all of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lily, cool blog! Viet Nam sounds as so much fun!
ReplyDeleteI hope I will have a chance to travel around some time...
Take care!
Pavel