Monday, September 21, 2009

9/21/2009

Saturday we visited the Chu Chu tunnels and the Cao Dai temple. Chu Chi was pretty interesting. The people there were pretty determined, carving out all those tunnels and living underground. There are these huge bomb craters everywhere. We went crawling through some of the tunnels and I of course scratched myself and bled all over the place. I also shot and M16 which was incredibly loud. Especially when there are a bunch of them being fired off at once or in sequence. My ears were ringing for a few minutes afterward. War is an ugly beast and it makes desperate people do odd and desperate things.

Mark asked us to ponder the idea that is commonly said about travelers, which is the saying that no matter where you go you always bring yourself with you. That is an odd idea for me right now because as of this moment I feel transient and without a concrete goal or purpose which is an odd feeling for me. I have always felt so determined and focused and right now I can't remember the why, I can only feel the now. I find myself asking the age old question "who am I" (while making the Zoolander face).

As of this moment the only part of myself that I can definitively say I have brought with me is love. I hold in my heart the love of my family and my friends and that I carry around with me everyday. So, ponder and love and live and such and have a nice day from Lily in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment