Thursday, September 17, 2009

9/18/2009

During Vietnamese class today I went out on the town to the zoo and talked to local people in Vietnamese. As it turns out my Vietnamese is bad, but not too bad, they had trouble understanding my accent, but they were able to figure it out after I said my questions a few times. I really liked this exercise because I was able to meet some locals and I survived actually speaking Vietnamese, although to be honest I have to idea what people are saying back to me. It is so hard to understand Vietnamese. It is raining again this afternoon, and we are going to a Vietnamese art museum today to learn more about the culture here, which should be fun although its raining again.

Sadly one of the girls in the group left today. She was not enjoying Vietnam. It seems so weird to me to see someone leave, I am enjoying myself immensely. The more I learn about Vietnam the more I enjoy the city. I see the Vietnamese people as a very strong people, they have overcome so much and they have come out of it all like champions. I have never seen such hard working people, that are still so willing to take the time to smile are you or talk to you. At the guest house where we are staying lots of Vietnamese business men stay here for a few nights during the week then go other places. When they are home these man love to talk to us. They practice their English and we practice our Vietnamese. They tell us stories and ask us questions it is so nice. They even recommend food for us to try. One of them even has a son learning in America, at some school in Wisconsin that I can't remember the name of. It seems to me that no matter how busy you are or how hard you work they always make time for the people around them. Another example, we were in a restaurant today and this woman stopped cooking to great us and talk to us in Vietnamese for a minute and then she went back to cooking away. The way people treat us is just so friendly. I am hoping to take some good pictures today and tomorrow and then post them soon. I love you all and I miss you, but not in the homesick kind of way in the happy where I am but wish you could all experience this with me kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment